White Opal is a semiprecious stone and a variety of opals. It is an amorphous form of silica, chemically related to quartz, and occurs as a filling in voids or cracks in host rocks. White opal shows play-of-color; however, it is distinguished from common opal by its milky white, translucent to opaque body color.
The interior design of White Opal compels it to broadcast light; relying on the circumstances in which it formed, it can take on many colors. Precious opal consists of spheres of silicon dioxide molecules arranged in regular, closely packed layers. These layers cause the interference and diffraction of light passing through the gemstone. The result is that precious opal can display a wide range of colors depending on the conditions in which it is formed.
White Opal is found in Brazil, Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Australia, and Ethiopia. In Australia, most of the White Opal mined is used for gemstone purposes; however, some is used for industrial applications such as abrasives and fillers.
Opal has been known and used since ancient times. The name “opal” comes from the Sanskrit word “Upala,” meaning “precious stone.” The Romans believed that opal was the combined power of all other gems. This idea may have come from Pliny the Elder, who wrote that opals contained:
- The fire of carbuncle.
- The redness of coral.
- The green of emerald.
- The blue of a sapphire.
Opal is Australia’s national gemstone, producing 97% of the world’s supply. Australian opals generally display a broader range of colors than other sources. The most valuable opals are “black opals,” which display green, blue, and red hues against a dark body color. Black opals are found in Lightning Ridge, New South Wales, Australia. White Opal is also found in Lightning Ridge; however, it is not as valuable as black opal. Opal is October’s birthstone.
Benefits of White Opal
As a type of opal, white opal is a popular choice for jewelry and other decorative purposes. It is also said to have some unique benefits.
The benefits of white opal are:
1. It is a stone of inspiration that enhances imagination and creativity.
2. The stone helps to release anger and claim back personal power.
3. White Opal is also used to bring emotional stability and calmness.
4. This gemstone is said to help one connect with their spiritual side and provide comfort in times of grief.
5. Opal is a stone of great luck, as it is believed to bring good fortune to those who wear it.
6. White Opal is also thought to have healing properties and is said to be helpful for conditions such as colds, flu, and fevers.
7. This gemstone is believed to help with digestive issues and is said to be beneficial for the skin.
8. White Opal is known as a stone of love and is said to bring happiness and passion into one’s life.
9. The stone is also thought to promote fidelity in relationships and help with communication.
10. Opal is said to be a stone of great power and is often used in magic and ritual work.
11. The gemstone is also believed to bring about change and can be used to help manifest one’s desires.
White Opal is a beautiful gemstone that has many benefits and uses. It is a great choice for those looking for a stone that can help with creativity, emotion, and spirituality. It is also a good choice for those seeking a stone of luck, love, and power.
Why Wear White Opal?
White Opal is a beautiful stone that can add a touch of elegance to any outfit. It is also a very versatile stone that can be worn with any color. White Opal is a great stone to wear when you want to feel more connected to your higher self or when you need some inspiration and creativity in your life.
How To Clean White Opal
White Opal should be cleaned with warm, soapy water and a soft cloth. Avoid cleaners that contain harsh chemicals, as they can damage the stone’s surface. White Opal can also be cleaned with a soft toothbrush. Be sure to rinse the stone well after cleaning to remove any residue.
Store White Opal in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. You can wrap the stone in a soft cloth or place it in a jewelry box lined with soft fabric to protect it from scratches. White Opal is a relatively fragile stone, so it is important to handle it carefully. Avoid dropping or banging the stone against hard surfaces, as this can cause cracks or chips. Also, avoid getting the stone wet for extended periods, damaging the stone’s surface.